When it comes to building Abs, most of the fitness experts, health magazines and internet search will advocate the 2 powerful abs sculpting moves, Planks and Crunches.
There has always been a debate on which of these two moves will give you ripped abs. Building up of your core involves all of core muscles which includes pelvic floor muscles, abdominus, obliques, rectus abdominus and erector spinae. While most of the gym exercise at gym involve workout on these muscles, planks and crunches are the two exercise most people train on. Scroll over as we identify which exercise between crunches and planks gives you a well built mid-section:
1. Let’s Begin With Crunches First
Crunches are said to be most effective exercise to build abs if they are done correctly.
When you do the crunch move, it activates each and every muscle of your stomach. According to experts when you lift your shoulders off the floor, keep your abs engaged and try to connect shoulders to stomach to get maximum benefit from this exercise. To do the crunch move correctly follow the steps given below:
- Lie down on your back on a exercise mat with your knees bent and feet hip width apart.
- Fold your arms in front of your chest
- Engage your abs and lift your shoulders off the floor.
- Hold the position for a minute.
- Slowly return back to starting position.
- Ensure that you don’t arch your lower back too much. Keep your abs pulled in to feel the tension.
- Ensure to follow the crunches in controlled way.
2. Bicycle Crunches
Crunches involve forward and backward movement and works on your rectus abdominis to build six packs.
To train your obliques it is suggested that you follow bicycle crunches. Bicycle crunches train on ab as well as obliques muscles. In this move as you bring your shoulder to your inverse knee your obliques turn to your midsection and this strengthens your side stomach muscles. To do this move, follow the steps given here:
- Get your body to basic crunch position.
- Bend your left knee towards your chest.
- Raise your right leg and keep it at 45 degree off the floor.
- Lift your right shoulder off the floor without pulling your neck and bring it towards your left knee.
- Ensure that you move your rib cage not the elbow while doing the move.
- Switch side and repeat the move on the other side to complete 1 rep.
3. Here’s A Look At Planks
Planks are the isometric moves in which angle of your joint muscle does not change when you contract your muscles. Planks work on your rectus abdominis, transverses abdominus and erector spinae. Planks focus to draw your abdomen to your spine which makes your transverse abdominus muscles also strong. This results in stronger mid section and an overall great physique. Planks will give you n impressive body with well built core and strengthen your entire body.
4. Which Of The Stands Better
Depending on your goals, you will need to choose which exercise works better for you.
if you are aiming to build stability then planks prove to be more beneficial. And if you are looking for ripped abs you should focus on crunches. However experts suggest incorporating both the moves in your workout regime to build perfect abs. It is best advised to do the crunches first followed by planks. Crunches will exhaust your abdominis rectus and doing planks after crunches will make it more intense which will result in strong aesthetic set of abs.