You may have heard the sleepover stories where the first kid to fall asleep is written on with markers by everyone else, or the sleepy guest whose hand is placed in a glass of icy water. These days kids all over the world are often on a quest to each other and engage in crazy antics. These antics are not anything but a laughing matter. The latest “prank” sweeping the internet is extremely dangerous.
There are many “challenges” out there that may have started out as something fun to do, but they actually put kid’s life in a gr-ieve danger.
The latest challenge is one that parents should be aware of. Not only it is terribly risky, but it has been getting a lot of news lately for its serious and lasting consequences. It can cause serious damage.
It’s called the hot water challenge which prompts one person to throw a container of boiling water on an unsuspecting person.
Another version has a person drinking it. It just takes seconds to cause third-degree burns from boiling water. Unfortunately, there are many YouTube videos that show kids how exactly to carry out these challenges.
Sadly, eight-year-old Ki’ari passed away in March after being dared to drink boiling water with the straw. Another 11-year old was hospitalized in August after her friends threw hot water on her when she was asleep.
An Arkansas teen had first and second degree burns on his neck after his friends showered him with boiling water while he slept. This 15-year-old and six other boys were at a friend’s house for a sleepover who were awake and tried the hot water challenge on him.
When he felt unbearable burning sensation on his neck, he woke up crying and screaming. He went to the bathroom and realized what just had happened to him and then they told him that they had showered him with boiling water. He went home and he was rushed to the hospital by his mom.
Since the incident, the teen is no longer friends with them. Now, his mom is begging other parents to talk with their children about these dangerous challenges that harmed her son this badly.